Grand Junction Police and Fire Departments Investigating Small Explosion at East Middle School [UPDATED]
Grand Junction Police and Fire Departments responded to East Middle School after a report of an explosion at the school.
UPDATE: School District 51 officials say the the 'small' explosion was caused by a malfunction in a boiler system near the main office. Damage was limited to a vent on the system. Students returned to class approximately 45 minutes after being evacuated.
According to the Mesa County Joint Information Center, students were evacuated as a precaution and there were no injuries reported as a result of the blast.
Authorities believe the blast was limited to a boiler room and the cause is reported to be a mechanical failure.
School officials expect students to return to class as soon as officials assess the exact cause and nature of the blast.
We will update this story as soon as more information becomes available.