It's the most wonderful time of the year, but it can also be one of the most dangerous.

Christmas trees and candles are fun to enjoy during the holiday season, but they also can present a hazard to humans and homes.

According to the Grand Junction Fire Department, Christmas tree fires are not common, but they can be deadly when they occur. One out of 34 reported home Christmas tree fires results in somebody's death. One major cause of Christmas tree fires is having a heat source too close to the tree. The fire department recommends keeping the tree at least three feet away from heat sources such as fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, candles, or heat vents.

Speaking of candles, there's a fire just waiting to happen. Two out of every five home decoration fires are started by candles, and just guess what the top four days are for home candle fires - Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. The fire department suggests candles be kept at least 12 inches away from anything that burns.

Here is another tip from the Grand Junction Fire Department for a safe holiday season is to check the manufacturer's instructions on your lights to see how many strands can be connected to a single outlet.

If you have a live tree, dispose of it right after Christmas or when it is dry. A dry tree is literally fuel for the fire.

The main thing is to have a happy and safe holiday season, and just a little precaution can ensure your family makes it through the holiday unscathed.

Kool 107.9 logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

More From Kool 107.9