Gunnison BLM Field Office Expands Stage 2 Fire Restrictions
The Gunnison Field Office of the Bureau of Land Management has implemented Stage 2 Fire Restrictions in additional areas to reduce the risk of human-caused fires due to increasingly dry conditions.
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) says all BLM managed land in Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Ouray, Saguache, and San Juan counties are now under Stage 2 restrictions.
Under BLM Stage 2 Fire Restrictions, the following are prohibited.
- Open Flames including campfire, stove fire, charcoal grill/barbecue, and coal/wood burning stove, Devices such as stoves, grills and lanterns using liquid fuel such as white gas or kerosene. Exception: Outdoor devices that used pressurized propane/isobutene gas canisters that have a valve the user can immediately turn the flame off and on.
- Smoking except within an enclosed vehicle, trailer or building. Smoking materials must be extinguished in the enclosed area and not discarded outside.
- Welding or operating any type of torch with an open flame.
- Explosives including but not limited to fuses, blasting caps, rockets, exploding targets, tracers, and fireworks.
- Chainsaw without a functional spark arresting device. Those using an approved chainsaw may only use it between 5 a.m. and 1 p.m., have a chemical fire extinguisher and a round point shovel immediately available.
- Discharging a Firearm including air rifles or gas gun. Target shooting is prohibited under Stage 2 Fire Restrictions.
- Driving Off of Established Roads and Trails. All motorized vehicles must use designated trails, parking areas, developed overnight campgrounds, and trailheads.