5 Outrageous Things More Likely to Happen to You Than Winning Powerball [ED-itorial]
The larger the Powerball jackpot gets, the more likely people are to buy at least one ticket, even though the odds of winning are astronomical. To put it in perspective, here are five crazy things that are more likely to happen to you than winning Powerball.
As I'm writing this bit of humor, the Powerball jackpot for Saturday's (January 9) drawing is estimated to be $800 million, the largest lottery jackpot in US history.
Regardless of the size of the jackpot, the chance of winning is 292.2 million to 1. Compare that to these crazy things that are more likely to happen than winning.
- Odds of seeing a UFO - 1 in 3 million
- Odds of having an IQ of 190 or more - 1 in 107 million
- Odds of being accidentally declared dead by the Social Security Administration 1 in 23,483
- Odds of having quadruplets without the use of fertility treatments - 1 in 729,000
- Odds of being fatally struck by lightning while drowning - 1 in 183 million
Think of the odds this way. You have a 63% greater chance of being fatally struck by lightning while drowning than winning Powerball.
So, the odds of dying in a freak accident are better than winning Powerball. So, what? While it's foolish to think you can actually win, as long as you're not counting on lottery winnings to pay off all your bills and fund your retirement, why not spend a few dollars buying some tickets?
If by some remarkable chance you actually win, remember I'm the one who encouraged you to play. After all, we're best buddies, old friends, pals - right?