More Prescribed Burns Scheduled in Western Colorado
Fire Managers for the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison National Forests are preparing for several controlled burns in September and October.
The purpose of these fires is to reduce vegetation build up which will help improve wildlife habitats and rangelands.
The areas these prescribed burns include:
- Myers Burn - 300 acres 30 miles south of Gunnison in the Cochetopa Park area.
- West Elk Burn - 600 acres 14 miles west of Gunnison and 5 miles north of Blue Mesa Reservoir
- Western Implementation Unit #5 Burn - 1,150 acres 7 miles southeast of Norwood near Goodenough Road
- Glencoe Pine Burn-Unit #2 - 500 acres on 25 Mesa Road 13 miles northeast of Nucla
- 25 Mesa Burn - 1,400 acres off of 25 Mesa Road 16 miles southwest of Delta
- Dave Wood Road-Unit #8 - 400 acres near Dave Wood Road 15 miles southwest of Montrose
- Cottonwood Burn - 2,150 acres on Dillard and Iron Springs Mesa 18 miles southwest of Delta
- Brushy Ridge Burn - 412 acres near the North Fork of the Escalante 35 miles southeast of Grand Junction
- Rocky Pitch-Unit #2 - 500 acres near Gill Creek 23 miles south of Grand Junction
While the burns are scheduled, they will only be conducted if conditions are optimal for an effective and safe burn including good smoke dispersal from the fires. Aerial, as well as on the ground ignition of these fires, is possible based on conditions and terrain.