Grand Junction Police Department Offers Free Home Checks for Vacationing Families
The Grand Junction Police Department can help you have more peace of mind while you're on vacation by offering Vacation Home Checks.
The Police Department offers this service for free to Grand Junction residents who are on vacation.
To sign up for this service, homeowners need to file a request for Vacation Home Checks with the Police Department. Some of the information needed includes the dates the homeowner will be gone, emergency contact information and the names and vehicle descriptions of people who are allowed to be at the house while the owner is gone.
In addition to the vacation checks, The Grand Junction Police Department offers these tips to help protect your home.
- Use light timers to turn lights on and off in the house making it appear someone is home.
- Watch what you post on public social media. If a criminal knows no one is home for an extended period of time, it's easier for them to rob your house.
- Arrange to have the post office hold your mail and stop delivery of your newspaper if you don't have someone house sitting or stopping by daily to take care of it.
- Don't leave a spare key hidden on the property. Give it to a trusted friend or relative. With no one home, criminals could have ample opportunity to search for a hidden key.
- As you're leaving for vacation, double check to make sure all windows and doors are locked.
If you need additional information about the Vacation Home Check program or more ways to protect your home, contact the Grand Junction Police Department at 970-549-5000 or visit them in person at 555 Ute Avenue.