Morning Gas Line Break Disrupts Classes at Tope Elementary
A gas line break near Tope Elementary this morning (March 8) disrupted classes and forced the school to Shelter-in-Place until repairs were made.
The gas line break near 9th Street and Bookcliff Avenue was reported around 10:30 am. The Grand Junction Fire and Police Department contacted the school and requested a Shelter-in-Place while they determined if the break posed any danger to the staff and students at the school.
As part of the safety check, the Grand Junction Fire Department tested for natural gas at the school during the incident. They found no trace of gas in the school. The Shelter-In-Place was lifted at 11 a.m.
Parents of students at the school were notified about the gas line break and action taken by the school and the fire department to ensure the safety of their children.