Drop Off Your Unwanted Items at the Landfill for Free
Western Colorado landfills are sponsoring free days in the upcoming weeks. This is your chance to do a little spring cleaning while simultaneously saving a few bucks at the landfill. Free days include several landfills across Western Colorado, so check the list, and find the most convenient location.
These free days, sponsored by the Mesa County Commissioners, include the Mesa County Landfill, as well as the Molina, Fruita, DeBeque, and Gateway transfer stations.
What are the differences between the free days and regular days at the landfills? Basically, the only variation is the absence of a charge to dump your materials. Other rules and regulations still apply. For example...
The following items still include the normal tipping fees:
- electronic waste ($.42 per pound)
- appliances containing refrigerants
- commercially hauled materials
- tires ($2 each)
The rundown for free days are as follows:
- Molina Transfer Station - April 2, 2016, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Fruita Transfer Station - April 9, 2016, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Mesa County Landfill - April 16, 2016, 8 a.m – 4:30 p.m.
- Gateway Transfer Station - April 23, 2016, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- DeBeque Transfer Station - May 7, 2016, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
The same rules apply when it comes to transporting your trash. Tarp that load! Let's keep trash where it belongs, in the landfill. In the event of high winds, landfills reserve the right to close down. As a matter of fact, it is mandated by state regulation. If winds get high on a free day, call (970) 241-6846 to find out if your landfill is open.
Keep Western Colorado beautiful, and save some bucks. Keep these free days handy. Nobody enjoys paying to dump trash.